This recipe takes less than 30 minutes and does not require any fancy equipment. I do recommend using an immersion blend and it is small and easy to clean. I hope you enjoy this versatile recipe as much as I do!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for pan-frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and sautee onion and mushrooms until soft and lightly browned then add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
2. Transfer to a food processor or use an immersion blender to blend everything together. Reserve skillet for later use.
3. Add cooled brown rice, bread crumbs, flour, basil, salt, pepper, and red pepper to the food processor and pulse until the mixture comes together. At this point you can transfer the mixture to a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon or your hands. Season to taste and let cool slightly.
4. Form the mixture into 1- or 2-inch balls to fit your bun size. Heat canola oil in the reserved nonstick skillet and panfry meatballs in batches until crisp on all sides, adding more oil as needed.
5. Slice slider buns in half and toast them in a sauté pan over medium heat. Layer with your favorite condiment, a meatball, pesto sauce, and a basil leaf in each slider bun. 6. Stick each slider with a party pick to hold it together. Serve immediately. These also go great with any pasta!
Yields: 12- 1’’ meatless meatballs