1. You can simply grill your portobello mushroom before making your pita or make them ahead of time and store them in the fridge. Mushrooms are a tasty meat substitute and they are high in B Vitamins and anti-oxidants, which studies have shown can decrease the risk of cancer.
2. The avocado will give you a serving of healthful fats that when consumed in replacement of saturated fat can aid in decreasing your cholesterol and controlling your blood pressure. Not to mention it adds the creamy texture that everyone loves in a good, teeth-sinking sandwich.
3. Kale-Yeah! Add a handful of kale to get a full serving of vitamin C, K, and potassium.
4. Using a whole wheat pita will boost your daily fiber intake as one pita can have up to 7.5 grams of fiber. Um, hello! That’s almost half your recommended daily intake!
– 1 Whole Wheat Pita
– 1/2 Avocado (for a full pita sandwich)
– 1 Grilled portobello mushroom
– 1/2 Cup of Kale
– Optional handful of sprouts
1. Prepare mushroom. Wash portobello mushroom and pat dry. Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil (or water) on a skillet and add the portobello. Cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Prepare pita. Cut open the pita and layer the avocado slices with the mushroom slices. Add kale, sprouts, or any other additional toppings.
3. Eat fresh or place in a airtight container to enjoy later that day!